Paula Jofré is an assistant professor of the Astronomy Nucleus at the University Diego Portales (UDP). She studied Astronomy in the Pontific Catholic University of Chile and obtained her PhD in Natural Sciences from the Ludwig Maximilian University and the Max Planck Institute of Astrophysics in Germany. She spent 7 years as post-doctoral researcher, first working in the Laboratory of Astrophysics of the University of Bordeaux in France and then in the Institute of Astronomy and King’s College of the University of Cambridge, UK.
Paula Jofré is a world-leading expert in Galactic astronomy, focused in the analysis of stellar spectra to understand the physical processes that shape the Milky Way. She has been selected one of the 100 Chilean Women Leaders by El Mercurio and Mujeres Empresarias in 2011 and 2018, awarded 10 Scientist-to-Watch by Science News in 2018 and TIME 100 Next by TIME in 2019.
She leads the "Galactic Phylogenetics" research group at UDP and the Working Group "Abundances" from SDSS-V.
- Since 2021: Claudia Aguilera-Gomez (PhD in Astrophysics, PUC, Chile)
- Since 2019: Danielle de Brito Silva (Bachelor in Astronomy, University of Sao Paulo, Brazil)
- Since 2021: Jorge Anais (Masters in Astronomy, Antofagasta University, Chile, cosupervised with Nayat Sanchez-Pi from INRIA Chile).
- Since 2021: Sara Vitali (Masters in Astrophysics, Leibniz Institute for Astrophysics, Potsdam, Germany)
Masters and Bachelors:
- Since 2019: Francisca Rojas Espinoza (bachelor student at PUC cosupervised with Julio Chanamé)
- 2020: Anell Cornejo (bachelor student at PUC cosupervised with M. Zoccali and B. Panes)
A few recent videos:
- Participacion en Igualmente Sabias por Explora Norte
- Colloquium at Aspen Center of Physics, July 2020, "Galactic phylogenetics"
- Webinar Educacion y Genero, Ministerio Educacion, Ministerio equidad de genero, Ministerio de Ciencia y Tecnología
- Preguntale a un Experto, Astro UDP, May 2020
- Talk in Future Congress Chile, January 2020
Selected science publications
All science publications
Some recent general public publications:
- Our Sun and other stars are a lot like people (TIME 2019)
- El viaje al pasado y al futuro de una astronoma (Revista Sabado, El Mercurio)
- Der Stammbaum der Sterne (Sterne und Weltraum)
- Paula Jofre makes stellar connections (Science News 2018)
- La buena estrella de Paula Jofre (Revista YA El Mercurio)
- Darwin’s principles to unravel the history of our Milky Way (She speaks Science)
- Suns and daughters: the family tree that may unite all the stars (New Scientist)